|Available places (Annual)
||Res. 1223 January 28th 2016
The Service of Plastic, Esthetic, Maxillofacial and Hand Surgery of the University of Valle provides the services of the specialty to all patients who demand their attention, through direct external consultation and urgencies or through other hospital services.
Concomitant with its aid mission, it is committed to research and train human resources through the specialty postgraduate program and educate hospital personnel and community in general. The service must ensure development of all areas of knowledge that related to the program, constantly check its objectives and work under ethical principles of medicine.
The objectives of the Plastic, Esthetic, Maxillofacial and Hand Surgery Program of the University of Valle are:
- To train a specialist doctor in Plastic, Esthetic, Maxillofacial and Hand Surgery who, always acting within moral, psychological, humanistic and bioethical principles, offers the best results in patients of this area of medicine, whether medical or surgical treatment.
- To train a qualified graduate to act responsibly, critically and optimistically in the health area and in society, leading or supporting processes that respond to health needs of population in scientific, care, and administrative fields.
- To train a graduate with knowledge, attitudes and skills in teaching, research, self-evaluation and self-improvement.
- To obtain wide and clear theoretical and practical knowledge about anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, pathology, semiology, interpretation of exams and tests for clinics, therapeutic management, prognosis, handling complications and epidemiological behavior that allow optimal patient treatment.
- To optimize patient in the pre surgical phase and correctly manage postoperative period, with the purpose of obtaining minimum peri-operative morbidity and mortality, including functional and aesthetic rehabilitation.
- To improve abilities and acquire skills to correctly perform all surgical techniques of the specialty, including opportune and correct decision in urgent patients.
- To develop teaching and long-term education skills and attitudes towards students, health personnel, patients and patients families.
- To generate, expand and update the knowledge of the specialty, through training in research, clinical epidemiology and critical reading processes of medical literature.
- To develop a permanent attitude of self-evaluation, self-criticism, self-training and updating.